Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

My week with a Palm Pre: Day 1

Saturday the 22nd I found it, a phone that I was latter the game in finding. I've used few other phones by the same artist and loved them. Now here, Saturday the 22nd was my day and when all was said and done I was able to purchase it for 50 bucks. I am talking about the sprint palm pre. The other phones by the same designer are the sidekick 2 an 3 as well as the nexus s, not to , mention the hp veer 4g and the hp touchpad. The designer is matias Duarte and by proxy Andy Rubin.

Rubin and Duarte have worked together on a few projects, Android is the latest and Sidekick was one of the most notable. Duarte also worked at Helio.
If you notice any similarities between his run at Palm and Helio, this is why. 

So we are going back a few years to where Duarte worked at Palm, the Palm Pre, a phone I now own and have been using for about a day now, a day plus some. Here are some of my musings, some things I have noticed. 

1.  webOS is very pretty. 
it is a pretty and functional OS, it of course has a browser etc and it works well. You can see a lot of webOS in android, a lot! Cards are a part of webOS and on Android there are cards when you click the recently used button.
2.  The Keyboard is awesome!
I am a fan of the smaller, nice palm pre keyboard, it is a similar one that was on the HP Veer 4g and I quite liked that device as well, a bit small for me, but where the Veer was too small, the Pre is just about right!
3.  The phone is a great shape
This phone slides up to reveal the keyboard i just spoke of, it has a curved design that reminds me of the nexus s or galaxy nexus, it when fully opened it reveals the curved design I mentioned. 
These are just day 1 thoughts, I will go through out the rest of the week, new post tonight or tomorrow with more thoughts and ideas, I am toying with hitting up the android port for this device, but right now, it is kind of... not working well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ads

.